happy summer friday, y'all! i hope you've had a good week, and that you have some awesome things planned for this weekend. or maybe your plans are to just chill, which is something i've been super into lately :)
today's recipe (or lack there of) is really just an idea of things i love, coming together in one place. last year i discovered salad toast somewhat on accident. the one ripe avocado i had in the house was super funky, so i had to adapt. i had already made a little salad that i had wanted to top my avo toast with, so i decided to throw some leftover tahini-yogurt over top of my toast. it turned out to be one of those simple, accidental, meant-to-be moments, and i've been excited to share it here ever since. each time i make this the salad is different according to what season it is, or what's in my fridge on a given day.
today, i made a hemp-y cilantro salad because my little baby cilantro plants (that i sprouted from seed!) are mature enough to be eaten, and there's nothing my husband and i love more than cilantro's just-picked fragrance - so in it went! hemp seeds just add a bit of texture, and tomatoes and cucumber slices (also from my garden!) because they were what was hanging around and most fresh on my counter. i personally like using a hearty piece of bread, like a focaccia here (i linked to the gf brand i love below in the ingredients), but a slice of toast should work just fine in a pinch. and you may recognize the tahini-yogurt from a bunch of recipes on my site. sorry it's so ubiquitous, but it's soooo good, you guys.
anywho, here's my personal serving of summer on a plate. i hope you enjoy or at least find some inspiration in this teeny recipe!
cilantro hemp salad on tahini-yogurt toast | v/gf
| serves 2 as a snack |
tahini-yogurt sauce (makes extra)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cultured coconut yogurt (or yogurt of choice)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons tahini paste
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- 2-3 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- fine sea salt & fresh pepper, to taste
- 1 1/2 cups baby greens
- 1/4 cup sliced baby tomatoes
- half a small cucumber, sliced thin
- 2-3 sprigs cilantro, minced
- 2 teaspoons hemp seeds, more for topping
- extra virgin olive oil
- fresh lemon juice
- fine sea salt & fresh pepper
- 4 small toasted slices hearty bread or focaccia (i used my favorite gluten-free focaccia), cooled
- cilantro blossoms, for topping (optional)
- whisk together the tahini sauce transfer to a lidded jar and place in the fridge until ready to use. leftovers can be stored in the fridge for up to 1 week.
- toss together the greens, tomatoes, cucumber, cilantro, and hemp seeds. drizzle in a bit of olive oil (about 1-2 teaspoons), a spritz of lemon juice, and salt and pepper to taste. toss everything together once more. taste and adjust if necessary.
- spoon a good amount of the tahini-yogurt sauce onto each piece of the cooled bread. divide the salad between each piece of toast and top with more hemp seeds and cilantro blossoms if using.