the last few weeks of summer seem to be slowing encroaching in. and while it's not over yet, i am already missing summer's colorful produce and its sweet smelling berries at the farmers' market. i know i'm totally jumping the gun, and that we have many more days of vibrant fresh greens, and bounties of plums and apples, but to think that these beautiful summer days and beach weekends are numbered makes me a little sad. on the other hand, i'm super excited at the thought of cool fall days, my mind perks up about apple picking, the start of a looong squash season (!), scarves, and snuggling up to my mister on the couch. nature is full of many beauties, and some exciting surprises in the fall season. it's just letting go of summer is what's difficult; of its warmth, sunshine, its edible gifts, and the way that it never lets you down.
most summer weekends are reserved for at least one day at the beach. me and the husband have our little routine of making our lunch, packing our beach bag with the paper or a book, and a big towel to share. we usually head out first thing in the morning after grabbing iced coffee to go, and then we're on our way. our usual spot at the end of the beach will be all ready for us, and sometimes, if we're lucky, it's low-tide and we get to walk out onto the sand-bar. it's usually a perfectly simple day, just me and my love, with sunshine on our faces, wind blowing, and the sound of the tides coming in and out. these are the days i live for.
i made the wraps here with these last few beach weekends in mind. they're simple to make ahead, wrap up, and throw in a container. they're vegan/dairy free, so even if you don't have a cooler they will stay nice and fresh. if you want, cut the time in half and buy your favorite hummus and pesto. if not, i provide a recipe for both below. the pesto recipe was inspired by this beautiful blog post, and my new affinity for cilantro since returning from Costa RIca. i hope you all are enjoying these last few weeks of the summer season!
hummus + pesto veggie wraps
| gluten free + vegan |
| makes 6 wraps |
- 6 large brown rice tortillas (or tortillas of your choice)
- 1 bunch swiss chard, de-stemmed and chopped (about 4-5 leaves)
- 1 large cucumber, julienned
- 1 small red onion, sliced
- 1 ripe mango, thinly sliced
- 8 ounces roasted garlic hummus
- 1/4 cup sunflower cilantro pesto (recipe below)
| sunflower cilantro pesto |
- 1/2 cup cilantro, packed (1 bunch)
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1/4 olive oil
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon toasted sunflower seeds
- salt to taste ~1/8 teaspoon
- cayenne pepper to taste (optional)
make the pesto
- in a small food processor, combine cilantro, chopped garlic, olive oil, lime juice, toasted sunflower seeds, salt, and cayenne. blend, scraping down the sides. transfer to an airtight container and place in the refrigerator until ready to use (i like making my pesto the day before, or early in the day to let the flavors really come together.)
assemble the wraps
- one at a time, warm the tortillas between a damp cloth, or 2 damp paper towels, in the microwave for a few seconds (this helps the tortillas not break when rolling them.)
- place the tortilla on a clean work surface. using a spoon or small spatula, add the hummus - i used about 2 tablespoons worth. then, add about 2 teaspoons of pesto - use more or less depending on your preference
- next, add the mango strips and chopped chard. top with cucumber and red onion
- fold the bottom and top of the tortilla in towards the filling, then fold the sides in. tightly roll one side to the other. with the folded side down, use a sharp knife to cut in half. repeat with remaining tortillas
grab a napkin, chow down, and enjoy!