we're talking breakfast again today, folks. morning's are hectic, sometimes a little crazy. as such, my weekday breakfast repertoire (instant oatmeal w/ almond butter, honey, cinnamon + chia seeds) is kind of lacking in the department of originality. there have been sooooo many mouth-watering morning meals out there that i thought it was time to up my breakfast game.
first, there was sini's whipped lingonberry porridge, then kate's toasted oatmeal w/ strawberry chia seeds jam + whipped coconut cream + to top all that! grace's spiced millet porridge w/ dates and almonds! to up the instant oatmeal game one must not use oats, and as much as i love quinoa, i'm not so much a sweet quinoa kinda girl. rather, i lean towards the more savory quinoa breakfast, perhaps with sauteed greens and some runny eggs or something. never having had millet for a morning meal, i took to pairing it with some spices and something a little sweet! loving all the berry and nut action in these posts, i remembered there were summer blackberries somewhere in the depths of my freezer that i had ordered from good eggs awhile back. i hadn't really missed summer berries yet, but when i opened that ziploc bag and peered in to see all their purple-y goodness, the warmth and smell of the coming season's bounty consumed me! and now i'm ruined and all i want is to kick winter's butt right out and welcome spring with lots of xoxoxoxos!
cardamom-toasted millet breakfast bowl w/ summer blackberry compote (gluten free + vegan)
| 4 sizable servings |
freshly ground cardamom is super amazing, especially here; it pairs so perfectly with the blackberry compote and millet! if using store-bought ground cardamom use the amount noted below - but taste as you go and add more if necessary.
- 1/2 cup millet
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk (or 1/2 milk + 1/2 water)
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground cardamom, roughly 8 pods
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup blackberry compote
- plain coconut yogurt to serve + bee pollen + chia seeds to taste (optional)
summer blackberry compote
- 1 cup frozen (or fresh) organic blackberries
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup maple syrup (or raw agave nectar)
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons arrowroot powder
- splash of fresh lemon juice to taste
- in a small saucepan on medium-low heat, add the coconut oil; to the oil add the millet, cardamom, cinnamon, ginger and salt - stir to coat. toast the millet and spices for 5-6 minutes stirring frequently until fragrant - you will hear the millet pop a bit. add the almond milk, turn the heat up and bring to a boil; give a stir, cover and turn the heat to low. cook the millet for 18-20 minutes. remove from heat
- while the millet is cooking, make the blackberry compote. in another small saucepan on medium heat, combine the berries, maple syrup, arrowroot and water, bring to a boil stirring frequently. add the vanilla and lemon juice (adjust lemon juice to your liking), keep stirring until the berries are soft and the compote has thickened a bit. remove from heat and set aside
serve the bowl
- using a fork, fluff the millet; split between 2 bowls, serve with a healthy dollop of coconut yogurt, a large drizzle of compote and bee pollen + chia seeds
- store leftover millet and compote separately in airtight containers in the refrigerator. simply heat each back up for breakfast or a snack!