some things that i'm into:
- my mom's saturday csa box from blue hill at stone barns
- this new-to-me store
- each and every one of these images
- Pure Green Magazine's #PGMinseason project is still underway, check out my homegirls claire and laura's inspiring and beautiful posts!
speaking of said csa box, my mom is not so into peppers. she has given me a total of probably 3 pounds of them in the past 2 weeks. shy of just giving them away to pepper-hungry neighborhood folk, i've made a lot of romesco sauce, and i've got this harissa, and this muhammara on a serious to-make list. i'm also wondering if bell peppers can be frozen for a later date...? i'm assuming so, but i would love if anyone had any helpful tips here :)
so, because of the monumental amounts of peppers in my possession, and because my husband went shopping at the farmers' market and bought double the amount of potatoes, we have this potato + romesco salad (of sorts) today! most times throughout the year i'm a sweet potato girl, but these couple of yummy spud-filled months have my heart (and tummy), and therefore potato salad. as i've mentioned in the past, this summer tater salad is delicious and has been on serious rotation; and as hard as it was not making it this time around, i knew romesco was necessary! i used basically what i had on hand, which included hazelnuts in place of blanched almonds, and an herby quinoa toss for texture and a bit of protein. definitely a respectable meal on its own, but also an awesome picnic-y side!
happy september, lovely people! xo
roasted fingerling potato salad w/ romesco + herby black quinoa (v + gf)
| serves 4 |
you can definitely substitute larger potatoes, just cut them into quarters or eighths and roast from there. you can also sub the hazelnuts for blanched almonds, or maybe pine nuts? and the black quinoa can totally be replaced with whatever grain you have on hand.
- 1 pound fingerling potatoes, scrubbed and dried
- 1 clove garlic, smashed
- large grain sea salt
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup black quinoa, rinsed
- big pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped (plus more for garnishing)
- 1/4 cup romesco sauce
- 2 small-medium bell peppers, roasted, skins removed and seeded
- 1 large clove garlic
- 2 tablespoons toasted hazelnuts, skins removed (plus more chopped hazelnuts for garnishing)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- coarse sea salt
- pinch of cayenne pepper (or freshly ground pepper to taste)
- in a food processor, combine roasted red peppers, garlic, hazelnuts, olive oil, vinegar, a couple pinches of salt, and a pinch of cayenne. blend ingredients stopping every few seconds to scrape down sides and checking for seasoning until creamy. place in an air tight container in the refrigerator until ready to use
- preheat oven to 375° and line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper
- in a large mixing bowl, combine potatoes, olive oil, garlic, salt + pepper; spread evenly onto baking sheet. place in the center of your oven for 40-45 minutes, stirring every 20 minutes for even roasting. remove from oven and set aside
- while potatoes are roasting, make the quinoa. combine quinoa with 1/2 cup water and a big pinch of salt; cook for about 15-17 minutes. once water has absorbed, remove from heat and set aside. in a serving bowl, mix the quinoa and the chopped parsley. add the potatoes and the romesco sauce; check for seasoning and garnish with more chopped parsley and chopped hazelnuts
serve + enjoy!