do you ever have those weeks where you kind of want to crawl under a blanket and not come out until it's a warm sunny beach day? yeah, me too. after a long stressful week, i was stuck on an airplane for the better part of a morning this weekend. and while i'm usually the girl with all kinds of vibe-y airplane snacks and meals, i didn't bring anything with me except for a nut mix, and a boiled egg (which i had already eaten on the drive). big mistake! after i de-boarded said plane i was left to my own devices, because let's face it, most times airport food is just plain scary (at least for me), but i managed to get my hands on hot water to brew some tea i had stashed in my carry-on. i basically survived on adrenaline and tea for a good 7 hours until i was able to get back home.
like a lot of people i'm sure, i can't stand airports, absolutely loathe them. so when there are occurrences like the one i encountered, my nervous system gets totally whacked. and also like most people, when i get stressed, i crave all the cozies, including warm crunchy toast! this toast variation was born out of something i usually prepare which is a hummus, avo, and egg toast. but since i didn't have the patience to make hummus, i made a thicker tahini sauce fortified with a good amount of pungent miso paste which is super when paired with the subtleness of an avocado. and to top was a healthy dose of black sesame gomasio (basically a toasted sesame salt), mostly because it's what i had on hand, but also because i try to ingest a good amount of black sesames daily for their soothing medicinal properties. some sliced scallions for crunch and some leafy dill to bring some bright herby notes.
avo toast, y'all. it's limits are endless, amiright!? i just saw this version on mr. donny tsang's instagram account the other day and almost flipped my lid! what are some of your favorite combos?
also, also! it's that time of year again where you get to vote for your favorite food blogs in Saveuar's Blog Awards 2015! this is such a thrilling time of year to get the opportunity to acknowledge so many insanely awesome blogs! let your voice be heard! and if you feel so inclined, i wouldn't mind if you threw dolly and oatmeal a vote ;) xo!
miso-tahini avocado toast w/ black sesame gomasio (v + gf)
the gomasio makes more than you will need here, so store in a lidded jar at room temp for up to 5-6 months. i love sprinkling it on green salads, grain salads, roasted vegetables etc., etc. likewise, the miso-tahini makes approx. 1/3 cup and you will likely have leftovers which you can cover and refrigerate for 1-2 weeks.
| makes 4 slices |
black sesame gomasio ingredients
- 1/4 cup black sesame seeds
- 1/8 teaspoon large grain sea salt
- 1/4 cup tahini paste
- 1 tablespoon mellow white miso
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 3-4 tablespoons water
- splash of tamari (optional)
- 1 ripe avocado, pitted and cut into 4 segments
- 4 slices of toast, toasted
- 1-2 tablespoons black sesame gomasio
- 2 scallions, trimmed and sliced thin
- fresh chopped dill, to top (optional)
- in a heavy skillet over a low flame, toast sesame seeds until fragrant, about 2-3 minutes. set aside and let cool. place salt and cooled seeds in a mortar and pestle, grind until sandy. set aside until ready to use
- in a small mixing bowl, whisk tahini, miso, lemon juice, and garlic; while whisking add water 1 tablespoon at a time until thick and creamy (slightly thicker than a traditional tahini sauce). cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to use
- take the avocado segments and slice each segment into thin slices. spread a generous amount of miso-tahini onto each piece of toast; top with sliced avocado and sprinkle with gomasio, sliced scallions, and chopped dill (if using)