happy summer friday, friends! it's also the last friday of august which means that these summer friday posts are sadly coming to an end. as someone who's birthday is september 17th and is adamant that it still falls within the confines of summer, i'm keenly aware that summer doesn't officially end until september 21st. but with our babe coming in just over 3 weeks (his due date is actually my birthday!) and other work needing to get done, i figured this would be an appropriate time.
i hope you've liked these little posts, because goodness knows i have loved creating them! especially this acai bowl, one of my favorite peachy breakfasts, these spicy hummus fries from last week's post, and if this summer had an anthem in the form of a beverage this would be it! i've been so very grateful for your feedback and enthusiasm for the summer friday posts, and for your well wishes as i've babbled on about pregnancy and crying and all the cravings i've had! and i know i'll look back at this summer and these posts in particular with the fullest heart, and i have you all to thank!
but for today i'm sharing these homemade chia seed peanut butter cups that are frozen because summer temps are so high this week, that even with the AC on chocolate be melting! these PB cups are just like your typical cups, but with high-vibe chia seeds mixed into the the creamy peanut butter center. not only do these super seeds provide some added health (like major omega-3's) but they also give them a crunchy center that's totally unexpected and super fun :)
i'll still be around during the week on my regular wednesday/thursday schedule, and i'm cooking up some other ideas i have swirling around for after the baby is born and life gets into somewhat of a rhythym. big hugs! XO
frozen chia seed peanut butter cups | v
| makes 12 large cups |
- 1/2 cup unsalted peanut butter
- 3 tablespoons powdered coconut sugar*
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 9 ounces dark chocolate (i use this brand)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin coconut oil
- chopped peanuts & flaky sea salt to top
- mix together the peanut butter, sugar, and chia seeds. refrigerate for 1 hour (this makes it easier to form into balls. if you're in a hurry skip this step, but the peanut butter balls will be sticky.)
- while the peanut butter is chilling, line a muffin tin with 12 liners, set aside. melt the chocolate and oil in a heat proof bowl over simmering water until melted. set aside to cool for about 10 minutes. scoop a heaping teaspoon of the peanut butter mix and use your hands to form 12 balls, then flatten a bit with your palm.
- pour 1 1/2 teaspoons of the chocolate mix into the bottom of each liner, then place a peanut butter disk on top. cover with another 1 1/2 teaspoons of chocolate. freeze until solid but surface is still a bit wet, about 10-15 minutes. then remove and sprinkle with chopped peanuts and flaky sea salt. place back in the freezer for another 20 minutes. place the peanut butter cups in a lidded container and store in the freezer.
*to make powdered coconut sugar, blend 1/2 cup coconut sugar in a high speed blender on high for 1 minute. transfer to a lidded jar and store at room temperature.