happy march! i'm not sure about you, but i'm glad to see february go, and that we're starting fresh with a new month! back in new york i would count excitedly for the weeks of march to pass so we could finally get to the spring equinox. then, in just a couple of short weeks the buds on the crab apple tree in our backyard would begin to bud, and the chives in my planter would start to sprout. those are glorious memories, and ones i hold dear because here in LA it seems as though most plant life is alive and grooving, no matter time of year it is. (which is awesome, just also totally strange to me!) i knew i would miss the ebb and flow of what i knew seasons to be, but spring being my favorite is making me super nostalgic for those days.
i always find that my meals mimic my mood which still honors winter, but is so very ready for the shift that the new season always brings with it. so around this time of year i find myself eating somewhere between heavy winter meals, sprinkled with some lighter spring fare. think: this creamy pasta situation, with this hearty seasonal salad. but once a week, no matter what season it is (expect the height of summer, maybe) i roast a huge tray of veggies for frank and i. in the fall months it's root veg with all the squash, and in the spring it's usually a lighter medley where i throw asparagus in in the last 10 minutes of roasting. but in the winter i roast this tray of veggies here.
it's a simple combination of brussels sprouts, carrots, and shiitake mushrooms. they're doused in my forever favorite spice mixture: garlic powder, onion, powder, and smoked paprika. it coats the vegetables perfectly making them so, so tasty. but the mushrooms are my favorite, and hold all the flavor, in my opinion. the shiitakes absorb a lot of liquid, so naturally you use a bit more oil here. and when they're roasted with the spices they take on a beautiful umami flavor, with an almost meaty (but not in a gross way, i promise!) texture. so while i'm calling these everyday roasted veggies, they're actually: everyday veggies taken up a notch.
wishing you a wonderful start to a new month, loves! xo!
everyday roasted veggies
you could swap out a veggie here or there with the same results. you could use sweet potato, cubed winter squash, parsnips, white potatoes, etc. i would urge you not to swap out the mushrooms though, they're really the tastemaker here ;)
| serves 4 |
| prep time: 10 minutes | | cook time: 35-40 minutes|
- 1 pound brussels sprouts, ends trimmed and outer leaves removed, and sliced in half
- 1 bunch carrots, washed, peeled, and sliced into 1-inch pieces on a diagonal
- 12 large shiitake mushroom caps (roughly 8 ounces), sliced into 1/2-inch thickness
- 2-3 tablespoons avocado oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt & fresh pepper, to taste
- chopped parsley, for garnish
- preheat oven to 400°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- in a large bowl, toss together the brussels sprouts, carrots, and mushrooms with the oil. add the spices, and salt & pepper to taste, and toss everything together until the veggies are evenly coated. spread the veggies evenly onto your baking sheet. roast for 35-40 minutes, stirring them halfway through, until the veggies are cooked through, and lightly browned and crisp.
- transfer to a serving bowl and sprinkle with chopped parsley and a couple more pinches of salt. serve immediately :)