it's a quick one today, as i've been working on a little side project that's been keeping me up at night and keeping me super busy during the day. also, my brother flew in this past weekend to surprise my parents for birthday and father's day celebrations; so, it was an awesome, laugh-filled, food-filled, party-filled weekend and i'm still trying to catch up on some zzzzz's. life has been feeling full as ever these past few months and while i'm happy to be a busy bee, i'm also looking forward to taking some much needed time this summer to chill out and be a little more zen.
in the spirit of chilling out, we're talking about this coconut blue-barb ice cream today. ok, rhubarb season is totally coming to an end, so i thought i would sneak one more blue-barb recipe in before we say adios to those beautiful pink stalks! surely you're no stranger to ice cream - coconut milk ice cream even, but how about a more custard-y ice cream!? i didn't even know this was really a thing until the lovely grace posted a pic of coconut milk frozen custard on instagram. there's a couple added steps other than just throwing coconut milk + accompaniments into your ice cream maker, but it is totally worth the extra time - if you've got it of course. there's some whisking, stirring, an ice bath, a sufficient amount of refrigerator cool-down time, then the 20 minutes in your ice cream maker. as grace put it, it's a TOTAL game changer!
coconut blue-barb ice cream (dairy free)
while inquiring about coconut milk custard on the interwebs, i found that people were experiencing an eggy flavor with plain vanilla custard, therefore i only used 2 egg yolks (some people use more, but only with chocolate and bolder flavored ice cream). additionally, you can totally use whatever jam, fruit, compote you have on hand - anything will work here! and if you're vegan, just skip the egg yolks, add the the fruit/jam/what-have-you, and ice cream away!
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk (preferably a brand with BPA-free lining)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup or honey
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- 2 free range egg yolks
- 3-4 tablespoons blue-barb jam
- in a medium saucepan, over medium heat, whisk coconut milk, maple syrup, salt and vanilla. while whisking, let mixture heat until steaming. while coconut milk mix is heating up, whisk the 2 egg yolks in a large bowl; once the liquid is warm and steaming remove it from heat and add it to the bowl with the yolks, a little at a time while constantly whisking. once combined, pour the liquid back into the saucepan on medium heat
- cook coconut mixture, stirring constantly with a rubber spatula until thickened and a thermometer reads 170° (about 8-9 minutes). remove from heat and transfer to an ice bath, stir until cool
- refrigerate mixture in a lidded container for at least 1 hour or overnight, then freeze in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturers directions; in the last 5 minutes of it freezing, add the 3-4 tablespoons of blue-barb jam. once frozen, transfer ice cream to a lidded container and freeze until ready to eat
- remove ice cream from freezer 10-15 minutes before eating to ensure easy scooping! then, scoop away and enjoy!