i'm usually not the one to jump the gun when it comes to spring fruit. i can wait long enough to find fresh picked strawberries at the market, on a roadside vendor out east on long island, or pick up some local ones at my neighborhood grocer. this winter, albeit mild, was a somewhat brutal one, and reaching for non-local, non-seasonal fruit was my go-to. strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, kiwi, and mango have been comforting and soothing to me, so as the weather has been warming i've been even more eager for the future fruits to come.
i usually throw out-of-season, tart berries into smoothies or juices, but i've also been roasting them in the oven with aromatic, unrefined coconut oil, and a bit of maple syrup for sweetness. they roast up just long enough for their juices to mix with the oil and syrup, and for the strawberries to melt and soften before any caramelizing action happens. the juices, and warm, melty strawberries are my favorite to pair with yogurt - the flavors together remind me of my childhood strawberry yogurt snack i would have everyday when i'd come home from school. so this version is perhaps a little more fancy, and in my opinion a bit more luxurious. for crunch, there's a good helping of Kashi GOLEAN Vanilla Pepita Clusters that make this breakfast/snack/treat come together so nicely. the cereal includes red beans, millet, yellow peas, and popped sorghum (!) in its ingredients which add flavor, texture, and added nourishment to this bowl.
on another note, the winners of my cookbook giveaway last week have been chosen, and an email was sent to the 2 winners. thank you all for your comments and support it's made this all so special! xo
this post was created in partnership with Kashi. all opinions, as always, are my own. thank you for supporting dolly and oatmeal's sponsors!
roasted strawberry & vanilla pepita yogurt | v + gf
i use unsweetened cultured coconut yogurt, but a vanilla flavor would also work nicely as well. the preparation of the strawberries would also lend itself well to any type of berry, just adjust the cook time for more delicate berries.
| makes about 6 servings |
- 1 lb. (16 oz.) strawberries, halved
- 2 tablespoons unrefined virgin coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 tablespoon maple syrup
- pinch of salt
- roughly 1/4 cup roasted strawberries
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut yogurt
- 1/2 cup Kashi GOLEAN Vanilla Pepita Clusters, or granola
- preheat oven to 350°F. toss together the strawberries, coconut oil, maple syrup, and pinch of salt in an oven safe baking dish, and arrange the berries in a single layer. bake in the middle of your oven for 15-18 minutes, until strawberries are soft and tender and edges are slightly browned. set aside to cool for 10 minutes.
- place yogurt in a bowl, top with strawberries and vanilla pepita clusters.